Friday, April 25, 2008

Fifth Senior Show to Open

Chester College is pleased to announce that the fifth, and final, senior show of the Spring 2008 semester will open on April 30th, showcasing the art of Jaime Furtak, Courtney Brown, Beth Russell, Stacey Brunette, Thomas Elmore, and Heather Cahill. The opening festivities will last from 7:00-9:00pm on the 30th, with a senior reading by Morgan C. Reynolds at 8:00pm.

Interview with Jaime Furtak
1.Does your exhibit have a title? (What is it?)

No

2.What was your inspiration?

The movie Grindhouse and the posters made for it, old things, film in general.

3.What was the most difficult part of bringing your project together?

Having a long time before the deadline because I don't do anything if I know I've got tons of time on my hands and nobody is telling me when things are due. PROCRASTINATION!

4.Did you ever find yourself stuck during the art process?

I forced myself to start doing posters and eventually I got back into it and got excited again.

5.What was your reaction when you finished?

"Holy SHIT, after this I graduate!"

6.How has your time at CCNE shaped you as an artist?

I guess it was more like a few specific teachers who helped shape me as an artist. If things sucked, then they sucked and they let you know. It's the only way to know to work on things and get better.

8. Do you have any insight for incoming freshmen?

Don't SLACK because you will be screwed. ALSO, LEARN HOW TO USE THE PRINTER AND DON'T BREAK IT!!!

9. Do you have any plans for after graduation?

Working full time at my design job if they so choose to hire me, owning lots of pugs, and being totally sweet.

Interview with Beth Russell
1. Does your exhibit have a title? (What is it?)

It’s not really titled... it’s just my senior show. I can barely title the pieces; I'm bad at naming things.

2. What was your inspiration?

My inspiration was the music and cartoons I've been watching a lot lately... Mostly Metalocalypse. Metal and violence... and its funny.
My show isn't funny really but there's metal music and violence.

3. What was the most difficult part of bringing your project together?

Keeping myself from getting distracted, which basically meant I couldn't work at home.

4. Did you ever find yourself stuck during the art process?

Yes. I make up my animation sequencing as I go along; I also got bored with any related imagery to my project.
I got through the block by finding better ways to work on it, and in some cases, starting over.
After overhauling some stuff it got better because I wasn't letting myself get caught up in the details.

5. What was your reaction when you finished?

You'll know the day of the show, because that’s the day it’s officially done.

7. What was the most difficult of your craft to polish?

It's not exactly polished but... trying to keep my work diverse enough so that everything doesn't look exactly the same or like I did it is a tough one. That one's in progress and probably will be forever.

8. Do you have any insight for incoming freshmen?

Learn the f***ing programs. Try different styles, different color schemes, rip people apart in critique (it’s usually helpful even if it hurts) and always make sure your work is that much better. Watch lots of TV, listen to lots of music, and try stuff that's outside of your preferred genre. Wash your hands, don't share beverages, don't piss into the wind. The friends you make here will last a lifetime if you don't piss them off. Laugh loudly at the people who suck, there are plenty of them in the world and they are there for your entertainment. Befriend a few of them regardless because they can teach you a lot about yourself and change your perspective on things.

9. Do you have any plans for after graduation?

Short-term: Party, visit family, work, and maintain my friendships.
Long-term: Begin therapy so I recuperate from this schizophrenic year of irritation, disappointment, hyperactivity, and lethargy.
Become a successful member of society and never forget just where the hell I came from, even if I leave parts out.

No comments: